Thursday, April 28, 2011

Good Evening

This afternoon I was with 'my' grade eighters...They were creating tiles today..any size or shape they wanted.. It was my last 'official' day with them (I will go back to see what comes out of the kiln next), and they surprised me with a thankyou card and gift..how nice is that!! (oh, and of course, celebrations require food, so Mr. P. also provided rice krispie squares! :)....The little wooden box was made by their teacher, Mr. 'P' as he also teaches woodworking. The box is pine wood with an inlay of walnut..and the colourful coil pot is mine from the first coil class I taught them. It has two of the 04 glazes on it. I love those bright colours!! I can see why the 04 is so interesting and I want to do more using those fabulous colours.
I enjoyed so much my time with the kids in this class...Thankyou all! :)

I wanted to show you this clay:  from my sister's property.. I brought a bucket full home last Fall, added water, sieved it two times and wedged it up ..good 'ole Alberta gumbo!!.. It is a beautiful deep khaki green colour and so smmmoooooth..  It looks and spreads like coloured icing sugar icing swirled on a plate...(Don't haul that clay away just yet, RB).
AND then, look at it after bisqued to 07..wow!  I do not know much about using 'local' clays, but this looks interesting..so much red iron in it. .looking forward to seeing what happens at cone 6.
That's about it from here today. It's going to be a late night or early morning as I plan to watch THE wedding, so that means setting my alarm for 3:30ish..! me and a zillion other people..:)..
Bye for now.

8 comments:

  1. What fun you've had with your clay students, that box is beautiful and the mug too. I've heard that green clay does great things in reduction. Love the color of it. I've had fun experimenting with my Florida clay which is red when it's green and turns brown after firing to cone 6.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great surprises!
    The box is beautiful.
    There must be some good iron on that clay.
    We have not dug any here yet but if I find some time I might have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very envious, first of that clay! and your class, I miss teaching kids so much, but I kept getting respiratory infections so had to give it up. Gifts like the ones you got are so precious and 8th graders are so much fun. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great surprise and lovely treasures from your students! I'm sure they will miss you this summer.
    That clay looks very interesting - please keep posting pics as you fire it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, ladies..
    Yes, a good time with the kids. I will keep you posted on the clay...
    thanks for checking in and leaving your comments..
    Cheers, T.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting my blog and for your kind words.I do my best to cope with my earge to creat, and hopefully the spring will bring more strength and joy. many regards and thanks!

    ReplyDelete