Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Thank you Grade 8's!

Hi All...
Today was my last day , for a while, with 'my' Creative Grade 8's...
Thank you all...It was, in a word..FUN :)... a good lesson in teaching for me, and it is true that we get so much back from our students.  I only spent a month with these kids, but I can see how teachers get attached to their students and wish only the best for each.


I look forward to going back before the end of the semester to do some tiles with them.
I made this large plaque and had each student put their fingerprints and initials in it....also had each of them do a letter from Grade 8 Clay Class 2011.  It will be put into the display case in the hall way outside of the Industrial Arts Room. 
Lots of colourful pieces..:)...The Spectrum glazes worked really well...true colours and no running and the kiln went to a true cone 04 on all the shelves except the bottom where the 05 and 06 were over bent, though, with the 04 just beginning..(?) I am a little confused by that...any ideas?  So, now that the kids know a bit about glazing, I look forward to doing some tile work with them. 


Last Friday I spent the afternoon with my potter friend, Verna. She was helping me do some plates using her molds and jigger.  I have not made plates like this before, but have a large order which includes plates, so thought I would give it a try....haven't decided yet if I like this process.  I will definately be embellishing them with sprigs, carvings etc. .. will keep you posted.
At the 'end' of her dry well maintained country road, there is this narrower country lane..Lovely. and the adjoining field which is still covered in a blanket of winter white...AND it has been snowing since Sunday, so we now have another 6+ inches of winter wonderland...will it ever end??? Last year at this time there was no snow...!

Thanks for checking in, and be sure to leave a comment to be entered into my Generosity Chain draw which will be on my birthday next month..April 22, where I will draw three names from the commentors 'list'.  I think you can still comment under 'anonymous' here; if not, send me a comment by email (found at 'view my profile') and I will add you to the list.  ;)
Have a great creative day.. Cheers for now. T.

4 comments:

  1. What fun you've had with the kids, sounds like the bottom of your kiln fires cooler than the top, usually it's the other way around. perhaps an element is going? The molds for the plates I'm curious what you mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh look at the great work! What fun and I'm sure they enjoyed learning from you! Depending on the kiln -- I think the bottom can fire cool as well -- but those elements probably haven't been changed in a long time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great plaque! How convenient that you're finished teaching just in time to come see the cherry blossoms blooming in Vancouver =)
    L

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like fun! it's important to pass-it-on, encourage a new generation to get with the clay !
    Have you noticed how lots of kids dont know how to work with their hands? Some of these kids dont have the first idea of how to roll something around, squeeze, pinch, push, pull.... I dont think they go out and roll around in the grass and play in the mud !! I've had to teach kids how to use a sponge- too busy on facebook!
    jeeze - listen to me, I sound like my Mother !
    thanks for the kind words on my blog.- keep yer canoe handy,the snow is melting quickly here in SK !

    ReplyDelete