Sunday, February 27, 2011

Fabulous Friday

A great afternoon with the creative grade eights and then to come home and find this treasure awaiting me....
I am a 'slow unwrapper', in that I like to hold the present for a while, then slowly unwrap it to see what wonderful gift awaits me...(yes, at Christmas, I       taaaa- kkkk --e    my       time ;)).
so first, the big package and then the inside wrapping....







Then...  this beautiful mug and pendant...from Meredith Heywood at Whynot Pottery, North Carolina...THANK YOU SO MUCH, Meredith!
Meredith hosted a generosity chain 'event' last Fall, drew names from her blog comments and I was one of the super lucky winners.  Now it is my turn to do the same.  Meredith drew the names on December 22, her birthday, so I think I will carry the birthday date idea and do the same on my birthday of April 22.  I know it is almost two months away, but...I want to include my pottery friends here who are not bloggers as well as the commentators on this blog and I want to encourage more artists to start their own sites..  So, from now to April 22, I will keep a list of the people who comment on this site and the artists that I meet/visit with in person and put 'you' all in a hat on my birthday and draw three names.  Those people will each receive a gift from me.  So please make your comments...all welcome.
So then, you ask...WHAT is this mess on my counter?? Well...we potters like to prepared, right??
This little collection is drying bits of organic matter that I will use in the next barrel firing..:)  We were not able to do a firing last weekend, Family Day, as it was to flippin cold, and, the fact that, yes, I was not prepared...do not have any pieces ready for that barrel!..anyways, I have been collecting 'stuff' for when we can have a firing..so besides orange peelings, onion skins, banana peelings and greenery, the mish mash on the plate is the herbal bath aromatherapy cold infusion that I enjoyed last evening..(yes, another head cold!!what the heck!)..I realized that it contains bath salts  that could lead to some exciting colours on  pots..:).. so,just getting ready..you should see the tray of dried coffee grounds I have in the garage!! hahah..
and maybe we will get another lovely piece like this one when all of this organic matter is wrapped and laid around the pots..will keep you posted...
Now..a cup of herbal tea in my beautiful new mug which will help ease this crazy head cold...Thanks again, Meredith..   Bon nuit.

7 comments:

  1. I rip my packages open cause I can't wait to see what's inside, great mug, so cool the generosity chain. Can't wait to see what you get in the barrel firing. Gary accuses pottery of taking over our whole house, I know the feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trish!
    So it finally arrived! I am so happy it made the trip.
    I sent you a mug seemed fitting since you seems to live in snow country.
    The little pendant was made from an oak leaf I found one day while walking across our yard to the studio.
    Don't put me in the list just wanted to check in.
    How great to be a spring baby-April to my winter!
    Enjoy!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I have a mug just like that and I love it. The handle is so comfortable and it keeps drinks warm for long time. Don't include me on the generosity list, I have already won, and passed it on though I haven't seen many of my winners passing it on, hint hint.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you are 'carrying this forward'. What a wonderful idea. Definitely put me on the list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Trish,
    Love your blog spot. The primitive fired piece has some lovely flashes on it. Fresh fern leaves wrapped aroung the piece tight will often leave the fern pattern as a ghost. I haven't done a pit firing for years. Might just get inspired for the spring....when it finally gets here. Keep warm.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well it looks pretty wintery in Stettler. Kudos to you for taking on middle school. Sounds as if you have them hooked on clay.
    I do enjoy reading your blog and seeing photos of winter at home.
    Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete