Tuesday, October 12, 2010

1000 Miles Apart Conference

Good eve.
 Since I last posted, I have been to a conference at Red Deer College (Red Deer is a city only 55 minutes west of Stettler). It has a great Visual Arts programme which includes excellent ceramic instruction. Two weeks ago I attended the 1000 miles apart conference - the students from either RDC, University of Regina, Alberta College of Art and Design, or the University of Manitoba host this event in the Fall (that's where the 1000 miles apart comes in - large distances between all). A great gathering of gifted instructors, students and studio potters from these three provinces enjoyed the three days.
Julia Galloway, Robert Harrison, Mike Flaherty, Teri Frame and the artist in residence from China all shared their talents. Julia is an excellent teacher and Robert Harrison constructed another one of his fabulous arches into the RDC landscape.  This years' addition is called 'the snowcatcher arch' and the way in which it is built will indeed enhance the snow falls as the flakes are caught in the crevices.
Robert added pieces of Trudy Golley's work into the arch.
Here is one of the pieces that Julia Galloway demonstrated on the weekend, a great teapot.
These are the other arches that Robert has installed at RDC. This selection - 2003 at the 1000 miles weekend - is in front of the library. This years addition is in the Visual Arts courtyard.  Again, Red Deer College is a great college and Trudy Golley and her 'team' are doing super things there.. Yay RDC!
So, the Christmas season is fast approaching and I am trying to get some work done..but even with the inspiration from the RDC weekend, I am struggling to be creative .....grrrrr... I need a booooooost of some kind.
At Verna's the other day, we were perusing her Fall garden in which she has many of her pieces..here is one made of colored clays...love it. - 'front and back' images, about sixteen to eighteen inches tall.


And some beautiful mountain ash berries...these trees are loaded with berries this year...cold winter ahead.  That's it for tonight. I am off to read some of your blogs to be inspired :)..thanks for checking in.  Tata for now. T.

1 comment:

  1. OOOh love the arches and the colored clay piece, what fun workshops.

    ReplyDelete