Tuesday, September 21, 2010

'one thing led to another'

Hello all.. well, time has once again got ahead of me and almost three weeks have passed since my last post...

 So, (in a nutshell), still working on leaf imprints although the frost has taken most of my plants now.....have a bisque fire to unload and one more to do of all those pieces and now I must get on to throwing!! BUT... today I decided to get rid of quite a bit of recycled clay and use it to make some more test tiles.. in both the clays I use and then this afternoon I decided to make some fridge magnets and/or brooches....and then ...one thing led to another, and I didn't even hear my husband come home at 6:15...so it was order in lasagne tonight!! :)...works for me!...

The largest of the brooches is about 2x1 inches.  They are fun to make eventhough I don't usually like 'fiddly' work but I do like to add sprigs and carving to pieces.A couple of them are from a stamp (the sun and the one with the four 'hands'--don't know what else to call it). The rest I carved etc..and some I paid homage to my quilting friends by making them 'quilt like'...... Anyways it was fun to play with these.Also, last Tuesday was the annual meeting of the Delburne Pottery Club.  I have mentioned this little club before.  The community is about 40 minutes from me /  the club has been going since 1973 in a small room attached to the local curling rink and despite small numbers, it continues to live.  The 'rock' of the club is my friend Verna who has been potting for fourty years or so, and continues to teach most of the new members.  She has many commitments besides pottery, so this year I will try to help teach when she needs me. Delburne is a very small community and not much interest for lessons or buying of pottery.  Eventhough I have my own studio etc., I choose to belong to the club to have a connection fairly close by.     How does one get people to join and to raise funds in such a small town???  They have tried several ideas over the years, but the interest is waning badly and funds are low...any suggestions?? 
Travelling to and from Delburne there were still quite a few fields waiting to be harvested...This week things are warming up, so hopefully these beautiful golden fields will be completed soon.
Okay..that is it for now..Cheers from Alberta.!

3 comments:

  1. wow, you have been busy, getting folks to join, as in more pottery folks? have a contest? get a pot if you get a new member, have a mother daughter night? father / son, demo at a church? demo at a grocery store, display at grocery
    can't wait to see you new pieces fired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food. Food always brings people! Can't believe you are talking about frost and we are still in the 90 degree days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Linda and Tracey...Good ideas!
    Yes, I heard you are roasting still! Craaaazzy..back up to a balmy 13celcius/55+F today. thanks for checking in. T.

    ReplyDelete