Well, back again from a holiday at Lakeside...good to be home.
I have spent some of today catching up with my blogger friends....so thought it was my turn. We do not have easy access to the net at the lake (dial up, which takes forrreeevvveerr and we have to pay long distance charges), so don't spend much time reading or composing my blog. I will continue my catch up tomorrow.
In the meantime, here is my story of late: For you geography buffs...when we travel 'straight' west into British Columbia from Stettler, there are some foothills before the Rockies about three hours away, but when one goes south first and then west, there are long sloping hills - huge open grazing lands - large cattle ranches and long straight roads with
At the end of a country road in an idyllic woodland setting we found Gunda Stewart- Orde Creek Pottery - where she creates wood fired and salt/soda functional pieces. http://www.ordecreekpottery.blogspot.com/ (She admits she has not written for a while..I suggested she should ;))...What a wonderful couple of hours we spent there. Gunda built a wood kiln last Fall and told us all about it. ( I had not seen one 'up close and personal' nor my husband or son, so they found that very interesting!). Thank you for your generous hospitality, Gunda. I am drinking from my new mug as I write, and the Creston cherries are extra tasty in my new 'pit' bowl! Tracey mentioned in a recent blog that we need to support our artists.. I did just that with the purchase of a watercolour of sunflowers by Elaine Alfoldy as well.
http://www.alfoldy.com/ That was just two of the four studios we visited en route. It would take me a month to go the 600 miles if I stopped at all the studios along the way!
.And then there was some time at Lakeside for clay work too, between the water-fun times. This is a rhubarb leave and the larger tray is holly hock leaves--also made three smaller dishes with leaf imprint, two pinch bowls (one of which ended up chucked into the bushes after I lovingly burnished it for hours and then it cracked on me!) and my daughter -in-law made a mug and bowl for her porridge :)..-a new experience for her and she did a super job!
more artists supporting artists :) Sounds like a great trip, always fun when you come across fellow potters on your travels!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great trip you had finding another potter deep in the woods and a painting you liked. When I make my pinch bowls I make sure I don't have too thick a bottom and I keep moving the piece so underneath gets dry too. Love the use of leaves, mother nature sure has some great things to use. Off to check out the links.
ReplyDeleteHi Trish, thanks for sending the positive energy regarding the crops. They are heading out well with all the rain - we need some heat units now.
ReplyDeleteLooks like you have put a few miles on too ! The soda/wood kiln must have been quite interesting - love your treasure pots.