Sunday, March 28, 2010

The 'Annie' workshop...creative energy...'boots'....Spring.

Good day all..
Tulips and pussy willows....YAY Spring! :)

Wellllll............what a fabulous time I had at the Annie Chrietzberg weekend workshop in Edmonton last weekend...See the smile on Annie's face?  That is how I felt the whole weekend...
Such fun and reems of creative energy from the 25+ attendees and super direction from Annie. She is an excellent teacher with loads of wonderful stories and ideas for clay.  I am definately in LOVE with texture yet again.  Tomorrow I am off to my local paint/wall covering store to get a textured wallpaper book.  I know there is textured wallpaper, but WOW!!
Here are my few pieces that I brought home and just finished up today...I will be doing more handbuilding.  :)    Thank you Annie...  http://www.earthtoannie.com/
Also thank you to Ellie and KJ from StudioLink..you were great hosts. :)

Also, I made a stop close to the Southgate mall so I could show you these pictures:   These boots are 20' x 12' x 4', made entirely with tiles by Brian McArthur and Dawn Detarando from Voyager Art & Tile, Red Deer, Alberta.  They weigh 42,000 pounds!
http://www.voyagertile.ca/      The boots are titled "Immense Mode" and were a commission by the Edmonton LRT Southgate Station -2009-.  You can see their work and an explanation of 'the boots' at their website.  I think they are just terrific! They do make quite a statement at 20 feet tall! :)

Okay...what else...Oh! just for information sake..nothing to do with pottery..well, I guess if you need hot water....Friday evening I heard water running...why is there water running somewhere in the house???Upon closer inspection.... checking downstairs we find water coming from the hot water heater draining into the basement drain (thankfully). and a gurgling noise coming from the heater. The next morning the plumber finds this fine sculpture growing on the inside of the tank on the  rod of the temperature/pressure relief valve. Quite the work of art, don't you think??  All that calcium building up over faaarrrrrr to long.  So, my advice for the day  is: that when it suggests you clean and / or change this valve every few years it is a good idea to do so. We now have a new valve and a new thermometer and clean gas burners on the tank..
So..back to work tomorrow. I am excited to try more handbuilding using textures of all sorts.
And...the sun if finally coming out this afternoon - a warm Spring day 15degrees celcius here in central Alberta.  On my drive home from Edmonton via my sister's and Mom's, I saw a huge herd of cattle on an equally large hill all standing facing the warm spring sun,..very cool image... that and gophers! ;)..
Hope everyone is having a super Sunday...cheers for now.. T.

4 comments:

  1. i love those giant boots too. soooo cool. glad you had fun at the workshop, i've been thinking about taking one at archie bray later in the summer. sounds like it'd be fun. take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just knew you were going to love that workshop. those boots are amazing, what a lot of work and dedication. I have thought about wall paper so many times, but never went into a wall paper store, I might just do that one of these days. I have used car mats though and other things for texture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Great post! Nice work, looks like you had an awesome time at the workshop. I need to start taking in some illustration and design workshops when life balances out a bit for me.

    I hope all is well. It was nice to see you this weekend.

    Love you Aunty Trish.

    Corey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Trish,
    Edam,eh ! Yup, been there. Lots of nice people there... why would you ever move !
    Did winter re-visit you yesterday ? I heard they had #2 closed. Looked out my kitchen window while cleaning up after supper and there is my son walking up to the house... he drove home from Olds College in that mess ! Obviously takes after his Dad !
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete