Thursday, March 18, 2010

'almost' tidy studio, going to workshop, and 'stuff''

Good day all...
Well....my studio is almost tidied..I have passed on a lot of 'stuff' to some new lovers of the clay :).. and now ready to get back to work which will be next week sometime. 
I am going to a workshop by Annie Chrietzberg (http://www.earthtoannie.com/) this weekend  in Edmonton.  It is great to have her in the neighbourhood and thanks to StudioLink for hosting. The workshop starts Friday evening and runs through to Sunday afternoon, so looking forward to the fun and inspiration from 25 other potters from around Alberta.

Here are a couple of pics of the mess -before and after- of my studio.  The large cabinet that was at one end of the space now holds the slab roller and is opposite my wedging table and beside the sink.  My husband is moving his workshop outside to the garage this summer (that and his fly tying table which is now in the other room in the basement), so my studio now is just 'my stuff'. :). 
After twenty years, and managing okay, it is going to be fun to have things set up more efficiently...of course, I need to USE it to its potential too! :)   I still don't really like the display area, but that is all the space I have, so will work with it.  The straight shelving is not very interesting...any comments?
Moving the cabinet from the east to the west.  and the metal shelf into the east end of the studio...what a mess!, but wait...
That makes better use of the space, but still a bit 'busy' visually.  I really like that metal shelf/desk, but maybe it just isn't right for showing work..Anyways, my magazines are tidy on the bottom of the shelving at the moment.  Those two plastic containers now hold clay trimmings to be re-worked which I like better than using plastic bags all over the place. I didn't take any pics of the opposite side of the room which has my drying shelves and wheel...the whole side needs to be organized yet with more shelving and I am going to put my wheel up on blocks to see if I can learn to throw standing up...And, yes, I do have SOME work 'on the go'..:)...there are four more slab trays plus these pieces soon ready for a bisque plus the student work from last month.  After the workshop this weekend I will have a few more pieces to add...yay!....and...had a visit from my son and his wife last weekend and 'the pooch' - Hudzyn and,yes, he is as huge as he looks.!!.(couldn't get a good shot of him standing up as he was toooo busy rolling around in the bit of snow left in our backyard) ..This is my contribution to the dog pics, Gary :). http://www.garysthirdpotteryblog.blogspot.com/.   So, that is the update from here in 'almost spring weather, Alberta!!-having, hopefully, our last little flurry this morning and then on to green grass!..  Plan to take pics of the workshop this weekend, so will have lots to show and tell next week..have a wonderful weekend everyone... thanks for checking in...Cheers, Trish

4 comments:

  1. Oh an Annie workshop how fun and three days too, that's just super. Your studio is looking great. For the display area where the metal cabinet is, what about putting some floating shelves on the wall with a few special pieces on them? Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda.! What a great idea about the floating shelves! and yes, then just a few pieces-maybe the barrell firing ones.:).thank you.-fun weekend to you too!. T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to love having your own studio space! My husband & I just 'separated' -- ha -- our studio spaces. I can put things where I want & don't need to worry about getting clay all over his stuff! I just have straight shelves for my display too -- let me know if you find a way to display things better.
    And an Annie workshop -- you are going to be so inspired! Can't wait to see the photos from that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cups that Annie demos on her website. I use that demo for my class every session and it always goes well. You should have a great time. Look forward to blogs about it :)

    ReplyDelete