
Let me introduce to you Sister Grace.:)...She is from a raku firing of a few years ago and yesterday she was 'overseeing' my glazing day....Her quiet demeanor kept me going especially after I broke one of the corners of this wonderful vase!!.grrrrrrrr!! ( language, Patricia..watch your language!! hahah)....I have paperclayed it back together..will this work??????..it should be bisqued again, probably...????to seal it. (in previewing this post, I see you have to go right to the end to see this picture) I had quite a few flat pieces in this firing...and with this blasted head cold which has annoyed me for over a week !!! it seemed to take forever to get this job done.. but..did get the kiln loaded yesterday and because it was early afternoon when I finished that, I chose not to fire yesterday.. will do that on Monday. I am still too 'coldy' to be tending the kiln today and out of respect for my neighbours I choose not to glaze fire when they are home. Anyways.... I have a few Christmas ornaments in this load..I like the idea of creating this little ornaments, but they are 'fiddley', aren't they?


Also....on one of my excursions a few weeks ago, my good buddies and I went to the Ellis Bird Farm only 40 minutes from Stettler. For my Alberta readers, they have children programs and a grandparents day!!:) What a lovely afternoon looking at birdhouses from all across North America and some from overseas. My camera died before I could take pictures of ones from North Carolina, for example..:)..so will do that when I go again. I am going to make some pieces for them for next spring - some leaf imprint dishes and bird bathes. Their rhubarb plants had the largest leaves I have ever seen, so am a going back there this next week to get a few for some imprints. I will save some more photos 'til later...but check out their website. From two people whose farm was renowned for supporting the highest nesting density of Mountain Buebirds ever recorded, and therefore built houses for these birds, has grown into a wildlife habitant and public space for us to enjoy.There is now a lovely little tea house in the original farm house, an informative centre and wonderful walking trails through the little forested area in the middle. (Tracey, I could see your little barns looking fabulous here!) The farm maintains a 350-box nestbox trail in a 100 square mile area surrounding the farm. A true gift to nature.
http://www.ellisbirdfarm.ca/

So...speaking of leaf imprints, I picked these few from my yard...getting them before the FROST does.!!! What??? yes, we have had some frost already...crapola!! it is only August.. Oh well, we can do naught about it!...Okay, must away... Have a super Sunday afternoon everyone!.
Oh...and I will introduce you to 'Sister Jubilation' if the kiln goddess does a fine job! :)..
I am surprised to see you have flat pieces on the bottom of the kiln. Do you have any warping and cracking? Love all the birdhouses on the fence line, how wonderful to see them. Sister Grace does indeed have a quiet composure I like very much. Happy firing. We may be firing at the same time on Monday.
ReplyDeleteHi Linda..:)..what fun to think we will be inviting the kiln gods at the same time.!I like that. The shelf that I am showing in the picture is not on the bottom..but I don't think I usually have that problem. My bottom shelf is a one inch depth off the very bottom of the kiln - using a one inch post. You have me thinking about that now, so I will keep you posted. ;).
ReplyDeleteI meant the bottom shelf. I had always heard the bottom of the kiln was hotter, but I now know that each kiln is different and it seems like you know your kiln well. When I did cone 10 reduction, the bottom was definitely hotter. I plan to use porcelain sand under my platters to allow them to move slightly in the kiln shelf during firing. good luck with your firing.
ReplyDeletehe trish, finally getting around to checking in on a few blogs. very lovely work you've been posting lately. i esp like that basket weave pot in the previous post, very nice. and thanks for reminding me about rhubarb! i'll have to pick some big leaves and make some impressions before it gets too cold. it's cold out right now and supposed to get in the 30s tonight so i better get on it soon. i think snow if forecast before the end of the week! hopefully i'll check in a bit more often :)
ReplyDeletethat reminds me, can you use paperclay to re-attach bone dry greenware? bisque too?? if so i'll have to mix some up. i'm one heck of a clumsy potter lol
ReplyDelete